The Well-Tempered Clavier and Other Music

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ninth was dedicated to "the beloved G-d."

The ultimate white-knuckles version by Furtwangler.

Tintner's box set surprised everyone. A Thinking Man's Bruckner. His Ninth is great.

Karajan can't be ignored.

Giulini is near the top of many lists (and my favorite) but not exactly swift.

144 Days With Bruckner (144? That's it?)

"Bruckner's existence is G-d's greatest gift." - Celibidache

Comment

Originally posted by Bamidbar 22
      That man has easily the longest neck I've ever seen.

I liked the opening, but found the tempo diminished some of the later parts.

Tintner's box set surprised everyone. A Thinking Man's Bruckner. His Ninth is great.
      This had a really refreshing cleanliness to it, but I think I still prefer Celibidache's.

Comment

If you were Gilbert Kaplan which symphony would you conduct? The billionaire businessman devoted his life to Mahler's Resurrection Symphony. He went to the conservatory to learn to conduct it. I admire his grit but that would make me feel like Micky Mouse in the Sorcerer's Apprentice, summoning forces beyond the ken of most mortals.

Mahler can be compared to the Grateful Dead: both have fiercely devoted aficionados and experimental elements that deter others. Tony Duggan kinda reminds me of the Deadlistening blogger.

This is Mahler's most famous piece because it was used in Death In Venice.

If I could conduct one symphony it might be the Fourth. The sleigh bells in the first movement. The Twilight Zone second. His greatest adagio. The song in the final movement is a child's vision of heaven. She's describing all this food because heaven is a place where you're not starving. What a strange, underrated, sui generis, wonderful, amazing work of Art!

Bernstein was largely responsible for resurrecting Mahler from near-oblivion. This cycle is one of the best musical purchases I've ever made.

The Third is a musical poem that progresses through all the stages of Being, from inanimate matter to G-d's love. "I might equally well have called this movement 'What God Tells Me.'" Your eyes will eventually return from behind your forehead.

One of the best things about being alive is the cymbal explosion in the Ninth's finale. Not the first one. Beware of false dawns. The one that shatters the shell of your mind, revealing a world beyond wonder to the stunned hatchling. Don't listen to anything afterward. The silence is part of it. This is a farewell to Life.

Bruckner's Third, arranged by Mahler for two pianos. Far out.
        Last edited by Bamidbar 22; 04-23-2019, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Happy Anniversary 5-8-77!

The Grateful Dead's most famous concert, played at Cornell's Barton Hall. Why even non-heads should listen.

Wednesday and Lurch cuttin' a rug to Scarlet Begonias from that night. Join them. (Lurch stole half his moves from me.)

Now in convenient book form.

The whole tour is worth having. This particular show attained its legendary nimbus through historic contingencies: a killer soundboard exploded in the tape-trading community. Once upon a time I had over 1K hours. On cassettes. Those were plastic thingies with two spools of tape inside. The preferred ones were 90 minutes. The Dead let you record their shows but you had to sit in a special section and you couldn't sell it.

Listen to the crowd. They were living their lives like you are now, that time just as "real" to them. What became of it? How can something so vivid and tangible become the dream of a shadow? This moment won't be different. And all the ones to follow. By denying the reality of the past we don't boost the stock of Now. Presentism merely staves off the inevitable Nothing.

Obligatory snobby Deadhead quip: 5-8-77 is not my favorite show. There's too many sublime ones from 1968 - 1974. Click on China Cat Sunflower. Go to the 5:30 mark for Platonic Form-tier. You're welcome. They call 73 the "honey year" because it's all sweet. Some prefer their lineup in the 80s. Donna sang backup on Elvis' Suspicious Minds. Whether she grooved with the GD is disputed.

Countdown to the fiftieth anniversary.

Two of my favorite Jerry encounters. How does Reuben and Cherise remain esoteric, hidden from a wider audience? RIP Bradley Center. The premier of Built to Last. RIP Houston Summit, now a mega-church.
          Last edited by Bamidbar 22; 05-09-2019, 06:29 AM.

Comment

I spent some time listening to Mahler's Sixth last night. I'm struck by how much more Mahler has going on in it than Bruckner does in his works. I don't necessarily consider this a good thing.

I also listened to Tintner's Bruckner's Third, which I think is the best I've heard yet. (The article Bamidbar linked called his cycle “The Thinking Man's Bruckner”, but I find there is a warmth to his Bruckner that others' lacks.)

I'm listening to Brancy's rendition of Verdi's Per me giunto... O Carlo ascolta as I write this.
            Last edited by John West; 05-14-2019, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Yokko Kanno

Years ago, a friend introduced me to Yokko Kanno. Apparently she's famous for her work in anime, but whether or not you watch anime you should give her music a chance.

Heaven's Not Enough by Steve Conte (composed by Yokko Kanno).
              The Real Folk Blues by Seatbelts (composed by Yokko Kanno).
              Call Me Call Me by Steve Conte (composed by Yokko Kanno).
              Gotta Knock a Little Harder by Steve Conte (composed by Yokko Kanno).
              Rain by Steve Conte (composed by Yokko Kanno).
              Green Bird by Gabriela Robin (composed by Yokko Kanno). This song is written in a language that Kanno made up purely for musical purposes. Gabriela Robin is a pseudonym, possibly for Kanno herself.

The Smiths

Don Carlo is a tough act to follow, but The Smiths are still pretty cool.

Still Ill. I reacquainted myself with The Smiths a couple weeks ago when I heard this song drifting out of a nearby television.
              Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now. One of the things that strikes me about The Smiths is how they manage to be both depressing and cheery at the same time. This song is a good example.
              There Is A Light That Never Goes Out.
              This Charming Man. A perfect instance of anastrophe in the second line:

Punctured bicycle
              On a hillside desolate
              Will nature make a man of me yet?

Bigmouth Strikes Again.

Miscellaneous

Flower by Ryuichi Sakomoto. Since I'm celebrating Japanese composers, here is a piece by another excellent one.
              The Sheltering Sky by Ryuichi Sakomoto. And another.
              Amore by Ryuichi Sakomoto. And another.
              Opus by Ryuichi Sakomoto.
              Cinq mélodies populaires grecques by Ravel. Opera. No baritones. I like it, but people unaccustomed might not.

Comment

Working...
              X