Newtonian inertia and the principle of motion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newtonian inertia and the principle of motion

The principle of motion states that whatever is in motion is put in motion by another. This of course has metaphysical implications that the theist would argue leads one to a concurrent divine cause of the cosmos.

The Newtonian law of inertia states that, barring the interference of external forces, an object remains in uniform motion. So, given this Newtonian ideal, can an object in principle continually actualize its potentials to reach destination x, y, and z ad infinitum without an external cause actualizing these potentialities?

I think my answer would be no. It isn't that an object actualizes its own potentials, but that there is some aspect of the universe that will actualize such a potential if various requirments are met.

Comment

Originally posted by ClassicalLiberal.Theist View Post
      I think my answer would be no. It isn't that an object actualizes its own potentials, but that there is some aspect of the universe that will actualize such a potential if various requirments are met.
      And this aspect of the universe is the concurrent cause of continual uniform motion? I don't think potentiality qua potentiality can reduce itself to act. So if uniform motion involves the continual actualization of potentials, there must be something beyond mere potency to act that bestows actuality to the moving object.

If we are to classify uniform motion as a "state" does this excuse the need for a concurrent actualizer? Isn't it the case that even in an inertial state we still have a potential to be at point X and then the subsequent actualization of that potential? Regardless of whether or not we call uniform motion a state, it still involves a division of actuality and potentiality and the motion between the two principles.

​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
      X