Epistemology

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epistemology

At the recent suggestion of Atno, I've started reading the book The Rainbow Of Experiences by Kai-Man Kwan. I'm rally enjoying it so far, but the chapter I'm on now is reminding how long it has been since I've seriously engaged with analytic epistemology, and I was hoping someone here could help clarify some points for me.

Kwan is talking about different theories of sense-experience, and in particular about the propositional or noetic content of perception. Is the propositional content that I receive from sense-experience merely the result of what I bring to the experience? For example, if my wife tells me to pick up her friend a the airport, I might scan the people around and sensing some of these people I would get the content, "not a woman", "woman, but too old", "woman, but not my wife's friend", etc... Or do certain objective properties of objects offer us propositional content outside of what we bring? It seems like I could have the same sense-experience but get different propositional content on different encounters. I might look at my wife's friend and think "my wife's friend" but in a different context, I might think "graduate student" and on another I might think "she's taller than I remember". The theory he is describing in particular he is calling "fusion theory".
Working...
X