Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have any interesting material on how God is related to joy and love?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have any interesting material on how God is related to joy and love?

Not moral goodness specifically or moral arguments of that kind, but joy, love, innocence.

A perfect being would have to be happy and loving, therefore, to be happy and loving is a perfection for 'us' as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Atno View Post
      Not moral goodness specifically or moral arguments of that kind, but joy, love, innocence.
      C.S. Lewis's Surprised by Joy is something that comes to mind. I'm curious, why the sudden interest?
      ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by RomanJoe View Post

C.S. Lewis's Surprised by Joy is something that comes to mind. I'm curious, why the sudden interest?
        ​​​​​
        Because I am convinced, by personal experience, that there is something to man's life which is like a perception or encounter of love, innocence, joy, purity. It is related to both moral experiences and religious experience, but is on a league of its own. While morality points out to transcendental standards of duty and goodness, this experience I am talking about focuses on good and beauty as it is, and not necessarily in the context of moral obligations and acts. And while religious experience involves love in a clear way, it does so in the form of a more direct, personal encounter with God. I am talking about a phenomenon which is more common - that we can see love reflects something real, and there is more to a happy loving moment than just fleeting minutes. There is also a thirst for the transcendent.

There is Jerry Walls's argument from love and meaning in "two dozen or so arguments for God", and some material on it by Kai Man-Kwan, but I haven't seen much more on that.

Comment

Working...
        X